Wednesday, October 6, 2010

light bulb moment...

So, I have been a teacher for 15 years. I never understood why parents freaked out when their kids got dirty at school. I always figured maybe they couldn't afford many clothes, and wanted to keep the ones they had in good shape. I also thought for a while it was a 'status' thing.....keeping your things nice.....now I know why...it is laundry.....doing all that freakin' laundry is such a pain.

Everyday this week, I have sent Mo to school in one outfit, and she comes home in a totally different one. Usually it is her extra set of emergency clothes. But today, she came home wearing clothes she had to borrow from school. Her extra set of clothes in a plastic bag along with the clothes from this morning....so 2 dirty outfits.

Why, you ask....

At Mo's preschool, they have this huge courtyard which is basically a huge sandbox. Mo has discovered the joy of getting dirty....not just dirty, but really, really, really filthy dirty. I am convinced she gets her pants soaking wet, and then rolls in the sand....putting handfuls in her pockets. It is really too much.

Scout and I have to hand wash all these sandy clothes before they can even go in the washer. We could have our own sandbox with all the stuff coming out of these clothes. It is past ridiculous.

2 comments:

ItsLiz said...

maybe she needs fishing pants and a slicker like the Gorton's fisherman ... http://www.gortons.com/ ... then she can just be hosed down after playing and her clothes underneath will be perfect ...

Robin said...

Now you are talking...

And karma is at work....so today, I didn't pay attention to the bag of dirty extra clothes she brought home. She brought home a new batch of dirty, sandy clothes.....AND HER FRIEND VERONICA"S CLOTHES. So, I had 2 sets to wash tonight.....

WONDERFUL!