Friday, January 29, 2010

Sick Day

Not for us, but for our daycare provider, Shirley. Yesterday, when Shirley called to say she was sick, Scout and I had to think fast. We decided that Mo would go to school with me for a little bit in the morning, and Scout would go to work get some stuff done, and then come get her and take her home.

Some people would think taking your small child to your kindergarten classroom wouldn't be that bad. Mo is 3 (and a half), she should be able to just fit right in, right? Except, half of my kindergarteners are already 6, and the rest are just about to turn 6. So, the age gap is pretty huge. Also, Mo doesn't understand that she has to share me with all the other kids. When I am reading a story to the class, she wants to be in my lap (where she always sits when I read a story)....she wants to talk to me when I am giving directions to the class, and doesn't want to wait.

I think if I had a regular job, it may (?) be easier, I could set her up with a video, and call it good. But, for some reason, I have a hard time balancing being a teacher and a mom at the same time.

Overall, she did very well. While the kids were working on their reading work, she was working in playdough and the dollhouse. She loved the outside recess, and the little girls in my class loved playing "mama" to her. It all worked out.....it was just an interesting day.

1 comment:

ItsLiz said...

I am guessing it is a bit easier with a regular job but mine either cry or need something as I answer the phone ... it is always great having a customer say, "Is there a baby there?" ... ahhh no that was a commercial on the radio but wow sounded just like my kid ... :)