Saturday, July 4, 2009

Keep Portland Weird

I have always loved those bumper stickers to "keep _______ weird." I have seen them about Austin, Santa Fe, and of course Portland. But how weird can a city be, if you have to keep reminding people! Shouldn't it be evident that a place is weird? Wouldn't everyone be able to see how weird it is?

Several things over the past few months have reminded me just how quirky Portland is....I don't like word 'weird'....has a bad connotation to it.....quirky sounds lighter, and more fun.......so, some quirky observations of late.....

1. While in my car, I had to stop for several children riding their bikes....or rather their UNICYCLES. These kids were around 8 or 9.....all riding unicycles....and riding them quite well! Who rides unicycles these days?

2. Again in my car, I passed a guy waiting at the bus stop. He was full on break dancing all by himself.....no crowd, just popping and locking and getting down! I did notice he had boom box on top of his back pack. Which is good, I mean, you never know when you are going to get a few extra minutes to practice your mad skills!

3. Mo and I love to go to the park.....and with the beautiful weather there are lots of other kids there. Last week, we met a lovely little girl named Pandora. Who names their kid Pandora? We also met a baby named Osama (the mom was quick to point out that it means peace). Gotta love a place when Mo's name seems mundane and run-of-the-mill.

I love Portland.....

No comments: