Wednesday, June 30, 2010

How to parent on one foot.

So, it has been 3 weeks since my injury. I have a hard fiberglass cast on which is super heavy, but I am able to get around better and better on my crutches. The worst part is trying to parent Mo. This was suppose to be our summer of fun. Last summer, we were moving, and the summer was dedicated to that.

This summer I had plans of hanging in the park, swimming, meeting new kids in our neighborhood, and really enjoying the time together. Now, none of those things are really happening. I can't get on the floor to do puzzles, or to play games, so we have had to get creative.

We play on the bed, and at the dining room table.....we sit and snuggle a bunch! We have done lots of crafts.....I can sit on the back deck and watch as she plays in the backyard. But that is really the extent of what I can do with Mo.....

Our solution, we have hired our next door neighbor's grandson (who is 15). He is coming over 2-3 times a week, and just having fun with Mo. He can go upstairs into her playroom (I can't)....he can walk her to the park to play (I can't)...he can do all the things I can't. Plus, he is a teen-ager, with his own skateboard.....this is a big draw for Mo.

He starts tomorrow.....

1 comment:

ItsLiz said...

I am happy you have used the situation to get creative and have fun but it sure does suck that the summer of fun has had to change ... I wish I could be there to help out ... I know it just sucks big time ...

I hope Mo has fun with her new cool skateboarding buddy ...