Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The accident

I recognize this has taken a while to post, but I really have not felt up to writing about it.....

So, the accident. The actual fall wasn't that impressive. I was standing at the bottom of one step.....and by one step, I mean, one actual step. The next thing I new, I was falling. I was standing behind a student, and I tried to avoid him. I think I twisted my body in a weird way, and made the fall even worse.

I knew right away that it was broken. It just felt 'broken.' My principal took me to the hospital, and within 3 hours, I was in surgery. None of us realized how bad it was until I was headed into surgery. This was the first time we had talked to the orthopedic surgeon. That was when we got the news.....

Liz Franc fracture.....where the metatarsals on the top of the foot are all dislocated. These bones are very hard to heal. The biggest problem associated with it is long term arthritis in the foot. The rehab is incredibly long for this injury. I am in a hard cast for 9-11 weeks, and can't put any weight on my foot. Then I am in a walking boot for 4-6 months. I will be in physical therapy for a while. The doctor said it would be a year before I feel close to normal, and I may never be back to where I was before the injury.

All from one little step.

No comments: