Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Counting Cones

I have wanted to do a cool advent calendar for a while now.....I don't really like the store bought ones.....too kitchy, or too religious. But, I wanted something that Mo could do to 'count down' to Christmas Eve. I did an internet search, and found some amazingly creative ones...I mean.....there are people out there that have mad craft skills.

So, I decided to take a few of the ideas, and put them together into this idea. Here is what I did. I got fancy holiday paper, and made cones (harder than you think with cardstock). I also got a tag maker (this was really just an excuse to buy one), and made tags with numbers on them for each day in December. Here is a finished cone.


Then, using clothespins, I hung them on a ribbon that is draped around our dining room. The cones aren't very big, but with 24 of them, it covers 3 walls of our dining room.


You can put anything you want inside the cones. This year, I have put little notes.....each one telling Mo one thing to do that day to get ready for the holidays.....ex. Drink Hot Cocoa, Listen to Christmas Music, Go look at holiday lights.

It looks so pretty......I love that it counts down the days, and doubles as decoration too. I might add more pretty things to the cones after the holidays...to make them even more festive, but I think they are pretty darn cute.


I think we can re-use these year after year, putting new and different things inside the cones.

2 comments:

ItsLiz said...

OMG I freakin love these ... they came out so great and look sooooo pretty and festive ... and what a great idea putting in things to do ... hummmmmmm I think I need to make something now ...

Brenda said...

These are soooo cute. What a great idea!